Pet poison of the week – Cherry

PET POISON OF THE WEEK – CHERRY
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate
Common signs to watch for:
• Dilated pupils
• Difficulty breathing
• Inadequate oxygen levels
• Bright red gums
• Shock
• Death
Cherry trees and shrubs (Prunus sp) including the Choke cherry, Black cherry and cherry laurel contain cyanogenic glycosides. All parts of these plants other than the ripe pulp around the seeds are considered toxic and contain cyanide. Cyanide inhibits cytochrome oxidase, an enzyme necessary for cellular oxygen transport, preventing appropriate oxygen uptake by cells. When ingested in toxic amounts, clinical signs of dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, inadequate oxygen levels, bright red gums, shock, and death can be seen.
Poison type: Foods
Alternate names: domestic cherry, ground cherry, wild cherry, Prunus, Choke cherry, Black cherry, cherry laurel

TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

 

Advertisements

Pet poison of the week – Ivy

PET POISON OF THE WEEK – IVY
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Common signs to watch for:
• Drooling
• Vomiting
• Diarrhea
• Abdominal pain
Certain types of ivy plants contain triterpenoid saponins and polyacetylene compounds. When ingested by pets, the irritant within the plant can cause excessive drooling, vomiting and diarrhea.
Poison type: Plants
Alternate names: Sweetheart ivy, Glacier ivy, Needlepoint ivy, Branching ivy

TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

 

Ticks and Lyme Disease in Pets

Ticks are a widespread and expanding threat across the UK. In recent years, they have begun to start feeding earlier in the year and for a longer duration of time. And ticks are not only active earlier than ever, they are also carrying potentially new and harmful diseases. All this puts your pets at a greater risk.

 

What are ticks?

Ticks have eight legs (apart from the larvae, which have six), so they are not insects, but are ARACHNIDS, and are related to spiders, mites and scorpions. They go through four stages in their life cycle – egg, larva, nymph, then adult.

Ticks 2017.4 Continue reading “Ticks and Lyme Disease in Pets”

Pet poison of the week – Fertilizers

PET POISON OF THE WEEK – FERTILIZERS
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested and concentration of the product
Common signs to watch for:
• Drooling
• Nausea
• Vomiting (acute or delayed onset)
• Diarrhea
• Abnormal posture due to abdominal pain
• Difficulty breathing
• “Muddy” colored gums
Most fertilizers contain varying amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (potash) as indicated by the three numbers on the packaging (i.e., 30-10-10). They may also contain iron, copper, zinc, cobalt, boron, manganese and molybdenum, some of which may be toxic in large concentrations. Additionally, fertilizers may also contain herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides which increases the risk of poisoning. While small ingestions of fertilizer may only result in mild stomach upset, larger ingestions can result in severe poisoning from the iron, nitrogen and other chemicals. Large ingestions of meal-based fertilizers may also form a concretion in the stomach resulting in a bowel obstruction or severe and painful inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
If you think your dog or cat was exposed to fertilizer, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.
Poison type: Fertilizers
Alternate names: soil amendments, bone meal, blood meal, feather meal, plant food, potash

TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

 

Pet poison of the week – Clematis

PET POISON OF THE WEEK – CLEMATIS
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Common signs to watch for:
• Drooling
• Vomiting
• Diarrhea
This popular vine has a beautiful, colorful flower, and grows in bright sunlight. Clematis contains an irritating glycosides, and when ingested by pets, can cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhea. Thankfully, this plant has a very bitter taste, which deters most pets from consuming large amounts.
Poison type: Plants

TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

 

Coping with the loss of a dog

Whether you know it is coming, or your dog passes away unexpectedly the feeling of devastation when you lose your faithful friend is natural. Unless you are a dog owner it is impossible to understand the sense of loss experienced by a dog bereavement.

The grief is very real with many asking “Is the way I am coping with the loss of a dog normal?” Everyone is different when it comes to dealing with grief and it can be something we find very difficult to come to terms with

Continue reading “Coping with the loss of a dog”

Bark and Read

Helping dogs to help children develop a passion for reading

Did you know dogs love books too?

Reading to dogs helps children develop their reading skills, encourages positive behaviour and helps build confidence and self-esteem. Reading to dogs inspires children to have fun and enjoy the experience of reading.

All over the country, children are learning to love reading with the support of these amazing doggy companions.

BarkandRead 2017.2

Continue reading “Bark and Read”

Pets poisoned on dog walks –

I can’t think of a worse subject to talk about, but it’s happening, even in the most remote areas of our country, what can we do to stop this serious issue with our pets. In fact barely a week goes by, when you don’t hear or see someone reporting this on social media, however do report it to the people, together maybe we can help prevent.

Dog walkers, be extra vigilance when walking in public dog walking areas.

  • Don’t allow anyone feed your dog
  • Do not let your dog disappear out of your sight
  • Be aware of what your dog is eating at all times
  • Don’t give dog treats to anybody else pet
  • Report anything unusual

You dog has been poisoned

  • Get your dog to the vet ASAP
  • Your dog may become sick very quickly and may become very thirsty
  • Try and find what poisoned your dog, take this to the vet with you
  • Report to the police, and let other dog walkers in the area know, use social media

 

Arthritis in Dogs

Arthritis can be as uncomfortable for our dogs as it is in humans, but there are ways of managing the disease to ease your pet’s pain.

Firstly! What is arthritis?

Arthritis simply means ‘inflammation of the joints’ and is a common problem for many dogs. Inside a dog’s joints, bone surfaces are normally covered with a thin layer of a very smooth cartilage, lubricated with a small amount of joint fluid that allows the two surfaces to glide freely over one another with minimum friction. In dogs with arthritis, cartilage within the joint undergoes change or damage, c=becoming less smooth and resulting in the bone surfaces rubbing together. This causes discomfort to your dog, as well as further dame to cartilage. As a direct result of this increased friction, new bone starts to form around the joint making the joint stiffer, which limits its movement even more – a condition known as degenerative joint disease.

Continue reading “Arthritis in Dogs”