Pet poison of the week – Cherry

PET POISON OF THE WEEK – CHERRY
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate
Common signs to watch for:
• Dilated pupils
• Difficulty breathing
• Inadequate oxygen levels
• Bright red gums
• Shock
• Death
Cherry trees and shrubs (Prunus sp) including the Choke cherry, Black cherry and cherry laurel contain cyanogenic glycosides. All parts of these plants other than the ripe pulp around the seeds are considered toxic and contain cyanide. Cyanide inhibits cytochrome oxidase, an enzyme necessary for cellular oxygen transport, preventing appropriate oxygen uptake by cells. When ingested in toxic amounts, clinical signs of dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, inadequate oxygen levels, bright red gums, shock, and death can be seen.
Poison type: Foods
Alternate names: domestic cherry, ground cherry, wild cherry, Prunus, Choke cherry, Black cherry, cherry laurel

TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

 

Advertisements