Pet poison of the week – Fertilizers

PET POISON OF THE WEEK – FERTILIZERS
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested and concentration of the product
Common signs to watch for:
• Drooling
• Nausea
• Vomiting (acute or delayed onset)
• Diarrhea
• Abnormal posture due to abdominal pain
• Difficulty breathing
• “Muddy” colored gums
Most fertilizers contain varying amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (potash) as indicated by the three numbers on the packaging (i.e., 30-10-10). They may also contain iron, copper, zinc, cobalt, boron, manganese and molybdenum, some of which may be toxic in large concentrations. Additionally, fertilizers may also contain herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides which increases the risk of poisoning. While small ingestions of fertilizer may only result in mild stomach upset, larger ingestions can result in severe poisoning from the iron, nitrogen and other chemicals. Large ingestions of meal-based fertilizers may also form a concretion in the stomach resulting in a bowel obstruction or severe and painful inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
If you think your dog or cat was exposed to fertilizer, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.
Poison type: Fertilizers
Alternate names: soil amendments, bone meal, blood meal, feather meal, plant food, potash

TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s