Pet poison of the week – Decongestants

PET POISON OF THE WEEK – DECONGESTANTS
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally moderate to severe
Common signs to watch for:
• Vomiting
• Dilated pupils
• Severe blood pressure changes
• Elevated or really slow heart rate
• Tremors
• Seizures
• Acute death
Decongestants, which are designed to prevent post-nasal drip, work by constricting (or tightening) the blood vessels in the nose (and the rest of the body). The most common types of decongestants are pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine. These drugs are commonly found in cold, flu and allergy medications. When accidentally ingested by dogs and cats, decongestants can be deadly as they can result in vomiting, dilated pupils, severe blood pressure changes (hypertension), abnormal heart rhythms and rates, tremors, and seizures. Immediate treatment is necessary to prevent potentially life-threatening signs. Decontamination, blood pressure monitoring, medications to lower the blood pressure, and aggressive symptomatic supportive care may be necessary.
Poison type: Medications
Alternate names: phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, cold medication, cough medication, Claritin-D, Mucinex-D, asthma medication, diet pills, nasal decongestants, sympathomimetics

TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s