Pet poison of the week – Amarylls Plants/Flowers

Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate
Common signs to watch for:
• Drooling
• Vomiting
• Hypotension (drop in blood pressure)
• Respiratory depression
• Abdominal discomfort

The Amaryllis is a part of the large Liliacea family but does not have the same toxic principles as the more common “true” lilies (e.g., Easter, Asiatic, Day, Japanese show, etc.). The plant contains similar toxins to the flowers in the Narcissus group or the Belladonna Amaryllis (the only true Amaryllis). The leaves, stems and bulbs contain phenanthridine alkaloids which can cause vomiting, hypotension (drop in blood pressure) and respiratory depression. Excess salivation and abdominal discomfort can be seen from the raphide oxalate crystals, which are more concentrated in the bulbs.
Poison type: Plants
Alternate names: Liliacea, Narcissus, Belladonna Amaryllis
.

TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s