Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally mild to severe
Common signs to watch for:
• Nausea …
• Abdominal pain
• Walking drunk
• Organ failure
As accurate mushroom identification can be difficult, it should be left to experts (mycologists). While the majority of mushrooms are considered non-toxic, some may result in severe clinical signs (even death). The majority of confirmed fatal mushroom toxicities in pets are secondary to mushrooms from the following genera: Amanita, Galerina, and Lepiota. Depending on the type/species of mushroom ingested, several general organ systems can be affected: hallucinogenic (e.g., visual disturbances), gastrointestinal (e.g., vomiting, diarrhea), central nervous system (e.g., ataxia, tremors, seizures, death), liver failure (e.g., vomiting, black-tarry stool, increased liver function blood tests, etc.), kidney failure failure (e.g., halitosis, anorexia, vomiting, inappropriate thirst or urination), etc.
In general, all mushroom ingestions in veterinary patients should be considered toxic unless accurate, rapid mushroom identification can occur. Clinical signs from mushroom poisoning are dependent on the species of mushroom ingested, the specific toxin within that mushroom, and the individual’s own susceptibility. Early clinical signs include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, walking drunk, depression, tremors, and seizures, with liver and renal damage occurring later.
If you see your dog eat a mushroom, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately for treatment advice.
Poison type: Foods
Alternate names: Amanitins, Amanita, Galerina, Lepiota, death cap, death angel, muscarine, Inocybe, Clitocybe, false morel, Gyromitra, hallucinogenic mushrooms, Psilocybe, Agaricus, Boletus, gastrointestinal, phalloides
Alternate names: Advil, NSAID, Motrin, Pamprin, NSAIDs
TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE