Pet poison of the week – Carbon Monoxide

PET POISON OF THE WEEK – CARBON MONOXIDE
Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs
Level of toxicity: Generally moderate to severe, life-threatening
Common signs to watch for:
• Neurologic impairment (e.g., altered mentation, seizures, coma, deafness)
• Difficulty breathing
• Acute death

Carbon monoxide (CO), a poisonous gas that is produced from fires, car exhaust systems, and generators, is toxic to all species. When inhaled in high enough concentrations, it causes oxygen starvation (e.g., hypoxia) to the cells of the body. In dogs and cats, poisoning from carbon monoxide occurs secondary to fires/smoke inhalation or secondary to generator system failures. Carbon monoxide causes the red blood cells not to carry oxygen, and results in severe toxicity to the heart and central nervous system. Signs of poisoning include neurologic impairment (e.g., altered mentation, seizures, coma, deafness), difficulty breathing, or acute death. Treatment includes oxygen therapy and aggressive symptomatic and supportive care.
If you think your dog or cat were exposed to carbon monoxide gas, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately for life-saving treatment advice. Be aware that this gas is poisonous to you also, and take appropriate and careful measures to protect yourself also!
Poison type: Toxic Gases
Alternate names: CO, smoke inhalation, monoxide

TELEPHONE YOUR VET ASAP
REMEMBER PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s